Cranberry Linzer Cookies
Makes about 42
- 2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2¾ cups ground almonds
- 3 large eggs
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- White sparkling sugar
- Cranberry Filling (recipe follows)
- Garnish: white sparkling sugar
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, salt, and vanilla with a mixer at medium speed until creamy. Beat in ground almonds. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In another large bowl, whisk together together flour and cinnamon. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just until combined (dough will be sticky). Divide dough into thirds. Wrap each portion tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to ¼-inch thickness. Using a 2¼-inch fluted round cutter, cut dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Using a 1¼-inch fluted round cutter, cut centers from half of cookies. Place 1 inch apart on prepared pans. Sprinkle cookies with cutouts with white sparkling sugar.
- Bake until edges are lightly browned, about 14 minutes. Let cool on pans for 2 minutes. Spread about 1 teaspoon Cranberry Filling on flat side of all solid cookies. Place cookies with cutouts, flat side down, on top of filling. Bake until set, 4 to 5 minutes. Let cool on pans for 2 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks. Garnish with white sparkling sugar, if desired.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!