This flavorful Cream of Mushroom Soup includes shallots, fresh thyme, and bacon.
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Makes 4 cups
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into ½-inch
- 1 pound assorted mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup diced shallot
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup Madeira
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2½ cups low-sodium chicken broth,
- Garnish: fresh thyme leaves, ground
- black pepper
- In a medium pot, cook bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove bacon and set aside. Add mushrooms, shallot, thyme, salt, and pepper to pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove ¼ cup mushrooms; set aside. Add Madeira to pot; cook until almost absorbed. Add cream. Bring to a boil, and cook until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- To the pitcher of a blender, add mushroom mixture. Puree until smooth. Add ½ cup chicken broth for a thinner consistency, if desired.
- Place pureed mushrooms back in pot, and add 2 cups chicken broth. Over medium heat, bring mixture just to a boil.
- Top servings with reserved bacon and reserved mushrooms. Garnish with thyme and ground black pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.