This refreshing Creamy Asparagus Soup will complement your spring menus.
Creamy Asparagus Soup
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and chopped
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ cup Riesling wine
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 (8-ounce) package Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 1½ cups finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Garnish: chopped fresh chives
- In a Dutch oven, heat butter and oil over medium heat until butter is melted. Add asparagus, onion, celery, and garlic; cook for 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Add wine; cook for 2 minutes. Add flour; cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually add broth, whisking until smooth. Bring to a simmer; reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly.
- In the container of a blender, purée asparagus mixture in batches until smooth. Return asparagus mixture to Dutch oven over medium heat. Add cream, sugar, pepper, garlic powder, salt, and zest, whisking until smooth. Cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Add cheeses, stirring until melted. Garnish with chives, if desired.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!