This easy-to-prepare Creamy Leek and Potato Soup is a delicious addition to seasonal meals.
Creamy Leek and Potato Soup
Make about 2 quarts
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 cups coarsely chopped leek (about 8 medium)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups peeled and cubed (1-inch) red potatoes (about 4 large)
- 3½ cups water
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup half-and-half
- Garnish: thinly sliced leek, olive oil, ground black pepper, fresh thyme
- In a small Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add leek, thyme, and garlic; cover and cook over medium-low heat until leek is softened but not browned, about 25 minutes.
- Add potatoes, 3½ cups water, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper; bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; partially cover and cook until tender, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool slightly.
- Using an immersion blender, pulse soup until very smooth. Stir in half-and-half and remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Cook over medium-low heat until heated through. Garnish with leek, oil, pepper, and thyme, if desired.
Kitchen Tip: To use a regular blender, remove the center piece of lid to let steam escape and place a clean towel over opening in lid to avoid splatters. Avoid using a food processor.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!