This sweet and delightful Creamy Orange Tart is topped with an Italian meringue.
Creamy Orange Tart
Makes 1 (6-inch) tart
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon Grand Marnier
- Italian Meringue (recipe follows)
- For crust: Preheat oven to 350°. In the bowl of a food processor, pulse flour, confectioners’ sugar, salt, and butter until crumbly. Add egg yolk and cream, and pulse until dough forms. Remove dough from bowl, and knead a few times until dough comes together. Roll dough between two pieces of parchment paper to a ¼-inch thickness. Refrigerate dough for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove parchment from dough. Press dough into bottom and up sides of a 6-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Trim off any excess dough. Place a clean piece of parchment over crust, letting ends extend over edge of pan. Add pie weights.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Carefully remove paper and weights. Continue baking until golden brown, approximately 8 minutes. Let cool.
- For filling: In a small, heavy saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, zest, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk, orange juice, and cream. Whisk egg mixture into sugar mixture. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil until thickened, 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add butter and Grand Marnier, stirring until combined. Spoon into cooled crust. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on surface of filling. Refrigerate until chilled, approximately 3 hours. Top with Italian Meringue. Using a kitchen torch, lightly torch meringue until golden brown. Serve immediately.
Makes approximately 2 cups
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 large egg whites
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- In a small saucepan, cook sugar and water over medium-high heat until a candy thermometer registers 240°.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed until foamy and nearly tripled in volume. With mixer on low speed, add hot sugar mixture in a slow steady stream. Increase speed to high, and beat until meringue is shiny and cool, approximately 6 minutes. Use immediately.