Vanilla-Bourbon Crème Brûlée
Write a review
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped and reserved
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 strawberry slices
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks.
- In a small saucepan, combine cream, ¼ cup sugar, bourbon, reserved vanilla bean seeds, and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat; do not boil. Slowly add cream mixture to egg yolks, whisking constantly. Skim off any foam on top of custard. Evenly divide custard mixture between 2 (8-ounce) custard cups. Place cups in a 13x9-inch baking dish. Pour enough hot water to come halfway up sides of custard cups. Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until centers are set. Loosely shield with aluminum foil if custards begin to brown. Carefully remove custard cups from hot water. Let cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Cover, and refrigerate for 4 hours to overnight.
- To serve, place 1 slice strawberry in center of each custard cup. Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon sugar over custards. Caramelize sugar, using a kitchen torch, or place under broiler for 1 to 2 minutes or until sugar is melted.
Southern Lady Magazine https://www.southernladymagazine.com/