Pimientos and Bacon Jam spice up classic deviled eggs.
Deviled Eggs with Pimientos and Bacon Jam
- 12 large eggs, hard-cooked and halved lengthwise
- ¼ cup diced pimientos, drained, liquid reserved, and finely chopped
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped sweet gherkins
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- ¼ cup Bacon Jam (recipe follows)
- Garnish: sliced pickled okra, minced red bell pepper
- Remove yolks from egg whites and place in a small bowl; set whites aside. To bowl, add pimientos, 1 tablespoon reserved pimiento liquid, mayonnaise, pickles, Dijon, and hot sauce. Using a fork, mash yolks to combine until mixture is smooth. Place egg mixture in a piping bag.
- Arrange egg whites on a serving tray. Spoon about ½ teaspoon bacon jam into each egg white. Pipe about 1 tablespoon egg mixture on top of bacon jam. Garnish with okra and red bell pepper, if desired.
- 4 ounces bacon (about 5 to 6 slices), chopped
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon firmly packed brown sugar
- In a medium skillet over medium-low heat, combine bacon, onion, and brown sugar. Stir occasionally until bacon is brown and starts to crisp, and onions become translucent and browned, 30 to 35 minutes.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse bacon mixture until finely ground and spreadable. Store bacon jam covered in the refrigerator up to 1 week.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!