This classic Dilly Rolls are easy to prepare bread, perfect for any menu.
Makes 1 dozen rolls
- 1 (¼-ounce) package active dry yeast
- ¼ cup lukewarm water
- 2 2/³ cups bread flour, such as King Arthur Bread Flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup whole-milk cottage cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- 3 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- Garnish: melted butter, sea salt
- In a small bowl, stir together yeast and warm water. Let sit until bubbly, at least 5 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment, combine bread flour, sugar, salt, pepper, baking soda, egg, cottage cheese, dill, minced onion, and butter. Add yeast mixture. Mix at medium speed until dough forms. Turn mixer speed to low, and continue to knead until dough is smooth and elastic, approximately 10 minutes.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, turning to coat top. Cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm (75°), draft-free place until doubled in size, approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Lightly spray an 11x8-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 12 equal portions. Roll each piece into a ball. Place in prepared pan.
- Loosely cover with plastic wrap, and set to rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake until golden brown, approximately 20 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Brush warm rolls with melted butter, and sprinkle with sea salt, if desired.