A mixture of fresh thyme, basil, dill, pepper, and kosher salt is the key to making our delectable Dry-Brined Chicken with Herbs.
Dry-Brined Chicken with Herbs
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- ¼ cup chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (4-pound) whole chicken
- Garnish: fresh thyme sprigs, fresh basil blooms, fresh dill sprigs
- In a small bowl, combine thyme, basil, salt, dill, and pepper. Pat chicken dry with paper towels, and tie legs with butcher’s twine. Season chicken all over with herb mixture. Place chicken, breast side up, in a large roasting pan. Loosely cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight or for up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Let chicken stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Baste chicken with pan juices, and continue baking until a food thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 165°, 10 to 15 minutes more. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Garnish with thyme, basil, and dill, if desired.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!