This Duck and Potato Chowder is a hearty blend of red and sweet potatoes, bacon, and duck.
Duck and Potato Chowder
Makes 5 quarts
Write a review
- 10 slices bacon, cut into 2-inch pieces
- ½ cup butter
- 4 cups (½-inch) diced onion
- 2 cups (½-inch) diced celery
- 2 cups (½-inch) diced carrot
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 4 cups (½-inch) diced red potatoes
- 3 cups (½-inch) diced sweet potatoes
- 4 cups shredded cooked duck meat
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- In a large Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until browned and crispy. Remove bacon, and set aside. Reserve ¼ cup bacon drippings in pan. Add butter, heating until butter is melted. Add onion, celery, carrot, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and red pepper. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add flour; cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually add chicken broth, stirring until well combined; bring to a boil. Add red potatoes and sweet potatoes; cook for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add duck and half-and-half; simmer for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in thyme. Garnish with reserved bacon, if desired.
Southern Lady Magazine https://www.southernladymagazine.com/
Don’t miss our delicious recipes, party ideas for every occasion, and seasonally themed special issues! Subscribe to Southern Lady today!