This delicious Eggs Sardou with Creamed Spinach and Hollandaise Sauce features fresh shrimp.
MAKES 8 SERVINGS
- 8 cooked fresh artichoke hearts
- 8 lemon slices
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 8 tablespoons water
- 8 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- Creamed Spinach (recipe follows)
- Hollandaise Sauce (recipe follows)
- 8 large fresh shrimp, boiled, peeled, and deveined (tails on)
- Garnish: paprika or ground red pepper
- In a large saucepan, place artichokes, lemon slices, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cover with water by ½ inch, and heat over low heat. Keep warm until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place 1 tablespoon water into each well of a nonstick 8-cup muffin pan. Carefully crack 1 egg into each well. Sprinkle eggs evenly with white pepper and remaining 1 teaspoon salt.
- Bake until whites are set but yolks are still runny, 9 to 10 minutes. Let stand 1 to 2 minutes. Run a thin knife around the outside edge of each egg and then remove with a slotted spoon. Place on paper towels, gently patting dry.
- For each serving, use 1 artichoke heart. Top with about ⅓ cup Creamed Spinach. Top with 1 prepared egg. Finish with Hollandaise Sauce and top with 1 shrimp. Garnish with paprika or ground red pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.
MAKES ABOUT 2½ CUPS
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream, room temperature
- 8 ounces fresh baby spinach
- ¾ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Slowly whisk in flour; cook, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes. Add cream, and whisk until creamy and beginning to thicken, 2 to 3 minutes. Slowly add spinach, a handful at a time, letting it wilt before adding more. Stir in pepper, salt, and nutmeg.
MAKES 2¼ CUPS
- 6 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1½ cups unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch ground red pepper
- In the top of a double boiler, whisk together egg yolks and lemon juice. Over simmering water, gradually whisk in melted butter, in a slow and steady stream, whisking until smooth. Whisk in salt and red pepper; cook, whisking constantly, until thickened and an instant-read thermometer registers 160°. Serve immediately or keep warm until serving.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!