A refreshing blend of shrimp and marinated vegetables, this flavorful appetizer is perfect for any party.
Elegant Pickled Shrimp
MAKES 12 APPETIZER SERVINGS
- 10 cups water
- 3 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning
- 2 lemons
- 3 pounds large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ¾ cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 (3.4-ounce) bottle capers, drained
- 1 (9.9-ounce) jar marinated baby artichoke hearts, drained and halved*
- 1 (14-ounce) can hearts of palm, drained and sliced*
- 1 (12-ounce) jar marinated mushrooms, drained
- 12 lemon slices
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- Garnish: fresh basil leaves
- In a large Dutch oven, bring 10 cups water and Old Bay seasoning to a boil. Slice 2 lemons and add to boiling water; let boil for 5 minutes. Add shrimp and remove from heat; let stand 15 minutes. Drain shrimp and set aside.
- In a large serving bowl, combine shallots and next 13 ingredients. Stir in shrimp.
- Cover tightly, and let marinate in refrigerator overnight. Just before serving, remove bay leaves and stir in chopped basil. Garnish with basil leaves, if desired. Serve chilled with a slotted spoon.
*We used Vigo hearts of palm and marinated artichoke hearts.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!