A mixture of sweet apricot preserves and Sriracha sauce create appetizing Firecracker Beef and Shrimp Kabobs.
Firecracker Beef and Shrimp Kabobs
Makes 8 servings
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1½ pounds sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 24 large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 (12-ounce) jar apricot preserves
- ¼ cup Sriracha sauce, or to taste
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 large red onions, cut into 1½-inch pieces
- 48 mini tricolor sweet peppers
- 32 (12-inch) wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, combine 1 cup oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. In a medium bowl, combine beef and half of garlic mixture. In another medium bowl, combine shrimp and remaining garlic mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- In a medium saucepan, bring preserves, Sriracha, ketchup, Worcestershire, and remaining 2 tablespoons oil to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, and simmer until thickened, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat. Let cool slightly.
- Spray a grill rack with nonflammable cooking spray. Preheat grill to medium-high heat (350° to 400°).
- Remove beef and shrimp from bowls, discarding garlic mixture. Holding two skewers together, thread beef, onion, and sweet peppers to make 8 total kabobs. Thread shrimp, remaining onion, and remaining sweet peppers on remaining skewers, again for 8 total.
- Place beef skewers on one side of prepared rack; place shrimp skewers on opposite side of rack. Cook beef skewers, turning and basting occasionally with apricot mixture, until beef is desired degree of doneness, 8 to 10 minutes for medium. Cook shrimp skewers, turning and basting occasionally with apricot mixture, until shrimp are pink and firm, about 6 minutes. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!