This rich and savory French Onion Soup is a special treat to add to any winter menu.
French Onion Soup
Makes 2 1⁄2 quarts
Write a review
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 8 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can beef consommé
- 11⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Toasted baguette rounds
- Shredded Swiss cheese
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add sugar and onions, in batches if necessary. Cook, stirring often, for 1 hour or until golden brown. Add garlic, and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in flour, and cook for 2 minutes. Add beef broth, beef consommé, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 30 minutes. Add thyme, and simmer for 5 minutes. Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls; top with toasted baguette rounds and shredded cheese. Broil 6 inches from heat for 3 minutes or until cheese is browned and bubbly. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley, if desired. Serve immediately.
Southern Lady Magazine https://www.southernladymagazine.com/
Don’t miss our delicious recipes, party ideas for every occasion, and seasonally themed special issues! Subscribe to Southern Lady today!