Enjoy decorating Gingerbread Cookies with little ones and creating personal goodie bags before Christmas.
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Meringue Icing (recipe follows)
- In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar with a mixer at medium speed until creamy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add molasses, egg, and vanilla, beating until combined.
- In another large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until combined. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a 10-inch disk, and wrap in heavy-duty plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to ¼-inch thickness. Using 6-inch gingerbread cutters, cut dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place 1 inch apart on prepared pans.
- Bake for 11 to 13 minutes. Let cool on pans for 2 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks. Place Meringue Icing in a pastry bag, and decorate cookies as desired.
- ¼ cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Food coloring (optional)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat ¼ cup cold water and meringue powder at medium-high speed until frothy. Beat in confectioners’ sugar.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!