Ring in the New Year with our delicious Good Luck Black-Eyed Pea Soup.
Good Luck Black-Eyed Pea Soup
Makes about 2 quarts
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 ham hock
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (10-ounce) bag frozen cut okra, thawed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large Dutch oven, combine peas, stock, ham hock, onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, and red pepper. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low; simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in okra, salt, and pepper; cover and simmer 30 minutes more, stirring frequently. Remove lid and cook, stirring frequently, until creamy and thick. Serve warm.
Discover delicious recipes, party ideas for every occasion, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!