This Grapefruit Tart is a refreshing sweet treat. It’s the perfect complement to a delicious meal.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ cup almond meal
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup blanched slivered almonds
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2¼ cups whole milk, divided
- 1 cup plus 1½ tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved
- 7 egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 pink grapefruits, sectioned
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- Garnish: fresh mint leaves
- For crust: In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour, confectioners’ sugar, almond meal, and salt until combined. Add slivered almonds, and pulse until small pieces remain. Add butter, and pulse until mixture is crumbly. Add egg, and pulse until a dough forms. On a lightly floured surface, knead dough twice. Shape into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Lightly spray a 9-inch tart pan with cooking spray.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to ¼-inch thickness. Transfer to prepared pan, pressing into bottom and up sides. Trim excess dough. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Place a piece of parchment paper in bottom of crust, letting ends extend over edges. Fill with pie weights. Bake until edges are set, approximately 10 minutes. Remove pie weights, and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Let cool completely.
- For filling: In a medium saucepan, combine 1¾ cups milk, ¾ cup granulated sugar, and vanilla bean and reserved seeds. Bring to a simmer over medium high heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, cornstarch, ¼ cup granulated sugar, and remaining ½ cup milk. Slowly pour in half of hot milk mixture, whisking constantly. Return to saucepan, and cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until mixture comes to a boil, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in butter until melted. Strain pastry cream into a bowl, and cover surface directly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
- Place grapefruit sections on a baking sheet lined with paper towels, and sprinkle with remaining 1½ tablespoons granulated sugar. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Sprinkle edges of crust with confectioners’ sugar. Whisk pastry cream until smooth. Spoon into prepared crust, spreading to edges. Arrange grapefruit sections on top of pastry cream. Garnish with mint, if desired. Serve immediately.
Don’t miss our delicious recipes, party ideas for every occasion, and seasonally themed special issues! Subscribe to Southern Lady today!