Drizzled with a refreshing strawberry vinaigrette, this grilled chicken and berry salad makes a hearty main dish.
Grilled Chicken Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette
Makes 8 servings
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1½ teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- (about 2½ pounds)
- 6 cups spring mix lettuces
- 3 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 2½ cups fresh strawberries, halved
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup sliced seedless cucumber
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- ½ cup sliced red onion
- Strawberry Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- In a large glass bowl, whisk together lemon juice, 4 tablespoons oil, ½ teaspoon salt,
- ½ teaspoon pepper, and onion powder. Add chicken, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 6 hours.
- Remove chicken from bowl, discarding marinade. Pat chicken dry. Brush with remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Sprinkle with remaining 1½ teaspoons salt and remaining 1 teaspoon pepper.
- Spray grill rack with nonflammable cooking spray. Preheat grill to medium-high heat (350° to 400°).
- Grill chicken until a meat thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 165°, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Let cool for 20 minutes.
- On a large platter, arrange lettuces, strawberries, tomatoes, and cucumber. Slice chicken, and place over lettuce mixture. Chicken can be served warm or chilled. Sprinkle basil and red onion over salad. Serve with Strawberry Vinaigrette.
Makes about 1½ cups
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, halved
- 3½ tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2½ teaspoons sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse strawberries until smooth. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, pressing with a spatula to separate seeds. Discard seeds.
- Add vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper to strawberry purée, whisking to combine; whisk in oil. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.