Our bright and crisp salad with grilled nectarines and fresh berries presents the best of summer’s abundance.
Grilled Nectarine Summer Salad
Makes 12 servings
- ½ small red onion, sliced ¼ inch thick
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds
- 4 firm ripe nectarines (about 1½ pounds), each pitted and cut into 6 wedges
- 2 (5-ounce) packages baby arugula
- 1½ cups hulled strawberries, halved or quartered, if large
- 1½ cups blueberries
- 1 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- ½ cup olive oil
- Place onion slices in a medium nonreactive heatproof bowl. In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, ½ cup water, sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and coriander seeds. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and pour over onion.
- Let onion mixture cool at room temperature for 30 minutes; refrigerate until ready to use. (Can be made 1 day ahead and refrigerated in an airtight container.)
- Spray a large cast-iron grill pan with cooking spray, and heat over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add nectarines; cook until grill marks form, about 2 minutes per side.
- In a large bowl, toss together nectarines, arugula, strawberries, blueberries, and pecans until well combined. Using a slotted spoon or a fork, remove onion from pickling liquid, discarding any coriander seeds; add onion to salad. Strain and reserve pickling liquid; discard any solids.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 2½ tablespoons reserved pickling liquid, mustard, garlic, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Gradually whisk in oil until well combined. Drizzle salad with desired amount of dressing, tossing until well combined. Serve immediately.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!