Oranges and lemons help to keep the snapper moist and infuse it with flavor. Don’t be intimidated at the thought of cooking a whole fish; it’s much easier than it looks.
Grilled Whole Snapper with Herbs and Citrus
Write a review
- 4 (1 1/2- to 2-pound) whole red snapper, scaled
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 12 cloves garlic, smashed
- 8 sprigs rosemary
- 8 sprigs parsley
- 8 basil leaves
- 2 lemons, sliced
- 4 slices navel orange
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Garnish: fresh herbs
- Brush fish all over with olive oil, and season generously inside and out with salt and pepper. Stuff cavities with garlic, rosemary, parsley, basil, lemon slices, and orange slices. Drizzle fish with lemon juice. Cover, and refrigerate at least 4 hours before grilling.
- Preheat grill to 400°. Brush grill grate with oil. Cook, covered, for 7 minutes per side. Transfer fish to a platter. Garnish with fresh herbs, if desired.
- Tip: Make sure your grill grates are very clean to help prevent the fish from sticking.
Southern Lady Magazine https://www.southernladymagazine.com/