You will love the savory taste of these delectable Gruyère, Fig, and Caramelized Onion Bites!
Gruyère, Fig, and Caramelized Onion Bites
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1½ teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1½ teaspoons sugar
- 1½ teaspoons sherry vinegar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1 (1.9-ounce) package frozen mini phyllo cups, thawed
- 7 ½ teaspoons fig preserves
- Garnish: fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a small rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add thyme and sugar; cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are deep golden brown, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat; add vinegar, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Stir in Gruyère just until combined.
- Place phyllo cups on prepared pan. Spoon ½ teaspoon fig preserves into each cup. Top with 1 rounded teaspoon onion mixture.
- Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Garnish with thyme, if desired. Serve warm.
Kitchen Tip: To make ahead, follow instructions through step 3, filling cups. Cover and refrigerate. Just before serving, bring to room temperature, and bake until warmed through and golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!