Ham, Asparagus, and Mushroom Bread Pudding
Write a review
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 2 (8-ounce) packages sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pound croissants, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 8 large)
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 3 cups diced ham
- 3 cups shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1 (1-pound) bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 325°. Grease a 13x9-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon butter; set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven, melt remaining ¼ cup butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 12 to 14 minutes or until lightly browned; set aside. In a large bowl, toss croissants with ½ cup melted butter.
- Add ham, cheese, asparagus, and mushrooms, tossing to combine.
- In a large saucepan, combine milk, cream, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Heat over medium-low heat until milk mixture is barely simmering, stirring frequently. Whisking constantly, slowly add eggs to hot milk mixture; whisk until smooth. Pour egg mixture over bread mixture; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish. Place baking dish in a larger pan. Pour enough hot water into larger pan to reach halfway up sides of baking dish. Bake for 1 hour or until custard is set and bread is golden brown.
Southern Lady Magazine https://www.southernladymagazine.com/