Serve this side dish of smashed English peas in a buttery, herbaceous broth for special occasions or weeknight dinners.
Herb Butter Smashed Peas
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 4 cups shelled fresh English peas
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup chopped green onion 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives
- 2 lemons, zested
- Garnish: lemon zest, chopped fresh parsley
- In a small Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add peas, broth, green onion, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Using the back of a spoon, mash half of peas. Remove from heat; stir in parsley, chives, and zest. Garnish with zest and parsley, if desired.
Discover delicious recipes, exciting travel destinations, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!