Drizzle this showstopping Holiday Cinnamon Wreath with a citrusy glaze and top with sugared cranberries and fresh mint.
Holiday Cinnamon Wreath
MAKES 1 WREATH
- 4 to 4¼ cups all-purpose flour, divided
- ¾ cup sugar, divided
- 1 (0.25-ounce) package instant yeast
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Orange Glaze (recipe follows)
- Garnish: sugared cranberries and orange zest, fresh mint
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine 2 cups flour, ¼ cup sugar, yeast, and salt.
- In a medium saucepan, heat ½ cup water, milk, butter, and vanilla over medium heat until an instant-read thermometer registers 120° to 130°. Add warm milk mixture to flour mixture; beat at medium speed until combined and cooled slightly, 2 minutes. With mixer on low speed, gradually add 2 cups flour, beating just until combined and stopping to scrape sides of bowl as needed.
- Switch to the dough hook attachment. Beat at low speed until a soft, slightly sticky dough forms, about 12 minutes, stopping to scrape dough hook and sides of bowl as needed. Add up to remaining ¼ cup flour, adding 1 tablespoon at a time, if dough is too sticky.
- On a lightly floured surface, shape dough into a smooth round. Lightly spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°) until doubled in size, 40 minutes to 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining ½ cup sugar and cinnamon.
- Lightly punch down dough. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and roll into a 24×12-inch rectangle. Using a pastry brush, brush melted butter onto dough, leaving a ½-inch border on the long side of dough. Sprinkle dough with cinnamon sugar. Brush border with egg wash. Starting with opposite long side, roll up dough, jelly roll style; pinch seam to seal. Gently shape log to even thickness, trimming uneven edges, if necessary. Place log on a piece of parchment paper. Form dough into a circle. Brush the trimmed ends with egg wash and press together, pinching dough to seal. Using a serrated knife or sharp kitchen scissors, cut into 1-inch slices, only slicing three-fourths of the way through the dough. (The dough should stay connected around the center of the wreath.) Gently turn one slice at a time onto its side, slightly overlapping the previous piece. Slide parchment onto a rimless baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°), 20 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Brush dough with egg wash (including where cut). Bake until lightly golden and an instant-read thermometer inserted in center registers 190°, 20 to 25 minutes, loosely covering with foil to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let cool on pan on a wire rack for 10 to 20 minutes. Slide a thin metal spatula under bread to loosen. Gently remove from pan to a serving platter and drizzle completely with Orange Glaze. Serve warm or at room temperature. Garnish with cranberries, orange, and mint, if desired.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients until smooth.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!