Finished with a dollop of fruit preserves or your favorite jam, these buttery cookie blossoms offer the perfect sweet bite.
Jam-Filled Butter Cookie Blossoms
Makes about 90
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ cup thick preserves or jam*
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until creamy, 2 to 3 minutes, stopping occasionally to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg, beating until well combined. Beat in zest and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and cardamom. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until combined.
- Transfer a portion of dough to a cookie press fitted with a daisy-shape disk. Press dough ½ inch apart on 3 ungreased baking sheets. (Do not use parchment paper.) Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake for 4 minutes. Remove from oven; using the handle of a wooden spoon, gently make a slight indentation in center of each cookie. Top each with about ¼ teaspoon jam. Bake until cookies are set and bottoms are lightly golden, about 7 minutes more. Let cool on pans for 2 minutes. Using a small of set spatula, gently loosen cookies from pans and transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely.
*We used Smucker's Red Plum Jam and Apricot Preserves.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!