These Lemon Buttermilk Cupcakes with Double Citrus Glaze are a sweet treat!
Lemon Buttermilk Cupcakes with Double Citrus Glaze
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ tablespoon lemon zest
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup buttermilk, divided, at room temperature
- Double Citrus Glaze (recipe follows)
- Garnish: orange zest, lemon zest, lime zest, and lime peel
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 12-cup baking pan with cupcake liners.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add egg, and mix until combined. Add vanilla, lemon zest, and lemon juice, and mix until combined. Working in batches, add one-third of flour mixture. Beat until combined, scraping down sides of bowl. Add ¼ cup buttermilk; mix completely, scraping bowl. Add second batch of one-third of flour mixture. Scrape a third time, and add remaining ¼ cup buttermilk. Finish with flour mixture, scraping down sides of bowl, if necessary, until fully combined.
- Pour batter into baking cups, filling each about ²/з full. Bake for 18 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into centers of cupcakes comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- Top with Double Citrus Glaze. Garnish with citrus zests and lime peel, if desired. Allow about 30 minutes for glaze to harden.
Double Citrus Glaze
Makes About 1½ cup
- 1½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, lemon juice, and lime juice until combined. Use immediately.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!