The tang of buttermilk and the twin flavors of lemon and lime give these tender cupcakes their fresh, sunny appeal.
Lemon Buttermilk Cupcakes with Double Citrus Glaze
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ tablespoon lemon zest
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup buttermilk, divided, at room temperature
- 1½ cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Garnish: orange zest, lemon zest, lime zest, and lime peel
- For cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 12-cup baking pan with cupcake liners.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add egg, and mix until combined. Add vanilla, lemon zest, and lemon juice, and mix until combined. Working in batches, add one-third of flour mixture. Beat until combined, scraping down sides of bowl. Add ¼ cup buttermilk; mix completely, scraping bowl. Add second batch of one-third of flour mixture. Scrape a third time, and add remaining ¼ cup buttermilk. Finish with flour mixture, scraping down sides of bowl, if necessary, until fully combined.
- Pour batter into baking cups, filling each about ⅔ full. Bake for 18 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into centers of cupcakes comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- For glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, and lime juice until combined. Use immediately.
- Top cupcakes with glaze. Garnish with citrus zests and lime peel, if desired. Allow about 30 minutes for glaze to harden.
Discover inspiring style ideas, delicious recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!