The tang of buttermilk and the twin flavors of lemon and lime give these tender cupcakes their fresh, sunny appeal.
Lemon Buttermilk Cupcakes with Double Citrus Glaze
Write a review
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon zest
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, divided, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Garnish: orange zest, lemon zest, lime zest, and lime peel
- For cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 12-cup baking pan with cupcake liners.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add egg, and mix until combined. Add vanilla, lemon zest, and lemon juice, and mix until combined. Working in batches, add one-third of flour mixture. Beat until combined, scraping down sides of bowl. Add 1/4 cup buttermilk; mix completely, scraping bowl. Add second batch of one-third of flour mixture. Scrape a third time, and add remaining 1/4 cup buttermilk. Finish with flour mixture, scraping down sides of bowl, if necessary, until fully combined.
- Pour batter into baking cups, filling each about 2/3 full. Bake for 18 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into centers of cupcakes comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- For glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, and lime juice until combined. Use immediately.
- Top cupcakes with glaze. Garnish with citrus zests and lime peel, if desired. Allow about 30 minutes for glaze to harden.
Southern Lady Magazine https://www.southernladymagazine.com/