Turn a longtime summer classic into a delightful new indulgence with baked-from-scratch cookies and dreamy homemade ice cream.
Lemon Ice Cream Sandwiches
Write a review
Buttermilk Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 (14-ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1 quart whole buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped, seeds reserved
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- For ice cream: In a large bowl, beat cream at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add sweetened condensed milk; beat for 2 minutes. Add buttermilk, lemon juice, and vanilla bean seeds.
- Pour mixture into the container of an ice cream freezer. Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Ice cream will be soft. For a firmer texture, spoon ice cream into a freezer-safe container, and freeze for up to 1 month.
- For cookies: In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in lemon zest and lemon juice.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating to combine well. Divide dough in half. Press each half of dough into a disk, and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a 3-inch flower-shaped cookie cutter, cut out dough. Place on prepared pan, 2 inches apart. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool on pan for 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks, and let cool completely.
- To assemble: Using an ice cream scoop, place 1 scoop of Buttermilk Ice Cream on flat side of half of lemon cookies. Place remaining cookies flat side down on ice cream. Store in freezer in an airtight container until ready to serve.
Southern Lady Magazine https://www.southernladymagazine.com/