These refreshing Lemon Buttermilk Panna Cotta desserts are great for seasonal menus.
Lemon Buttermilk Panna Cotta
Makes 8 servings
- 3 tablespoons cold fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups whole buttermilk
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- Candied Lemon Curls (recipe follows)
- Garnish: fresh mint leaves
- In a small bowl, stir together lemon juice and gelatin. Let stand until softened, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, combine cream, buttermilk, sugar, and zest. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved. When bubbles form around edge of pan, turn off heat, and stir in gelatin mixture, stirring until dissolved. (If gelatin doesn’t completely dissolve in 3 minutes, return to heat, and warm gently until dissolved.)
- Pour mixture into 8 (4-ounce) serving dishes. Refrigerate, uncovered, for at least 4 hours. Top with Candied Lemon Curls. Garnish with mint, if desired.
Candied Lemon Curls
Makes 1 cup
- 3 lemons
- 6 cups water, divided
- 1¾ cups sugar, divided
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel lemons, being careful not to remove pith. Cut peels into thin strips.
- In a medium saucepan, combine lemon peels and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; let boil for 5 minutes. Strain. Repeat procedure with 2 more cups water to remove any bitterness from lemon peels.
- In another medium saucepan, heat 1½ cups sugar and remaining 2 cups water over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved. Stir in lemon peels, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until peels are transparent, about 1 hour.
- Strain liquid into a bowl or jar, if desired, to use for cocktails or desserts. Place lemon peels on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Let cool until peels feel tacky to the touch, about 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, toss lemon peels with remaining ¼ cup sugar until well coated; return to pan, and let stand for 2 hours. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!