Sweeter and less acidic than regular lemons, Meyer lemons give this pie a mellow citrus flavor.
Lemon Buttermilk Pie
Write a review
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, diced
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons ice water, more as needed
Lemon Buttermilk Filling
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh Meyer lemon zest
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise, seeds reserved
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 1/4 cups whole buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice
Ginger Cream Topping
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- In the work bowl of a food processor, combine flour, sugar, and salt; pulse to combine.
- Add butter, and pulse until mixture is crumbly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and ice water. With processor running, gradually add to dough, about 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing until dough comes together. Form into a disk; wrap with plastic wrap, and chill for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 days.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 12-inch circle. Lay dough in a 9-inch pie plate, allowing excess to hang over sides. Fold excess dough under. Using your thumb and fingers, flute edges. Place in freezer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Position rack in the lower third of oven. Place frozen crust on a rimmed baking sheet. Line dough with a piece of parchment paper, allowing excess to hang over sides. Fill with pie weights.
- Bake until dough holds its shape when parchment is lifted, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool slightly on a wire rack. Remove weights and parchment. Return to oven, and bake until bottom is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a medium bowl, combine sugar, zest, and reserved vanilla seeds; rub together with your fingers.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk flour and salt. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture, whisking until combined. Add eggs and yolks, whisking gently to avoid incorporating excess air, until smooth.
- In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, sour cream, whipping cream, lemon juice, and vanilla. Add buttermilk mixture to egg mixture, whisking until smooth.
- Pour filling into crust. Decrease oven temperature to 325°.
- Bake until just set, about 45 to 50 minutes. Filling should jiggle slightly in middle.
- Remove from oven, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Serve with Ginger Cream Topping (recipe follows) and garnish with candied lemon zest, if desired. Serve at room temperature, or chill before serving.
- Store covered in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
For ginger cream topping
- In a medium bowl, beat all ingredients at medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Use immediately, or store covered in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Southern Lady Magazine https://www.southernladymagazine.com/