These zesty Lemon Chess Bars are a fitting treat to add to spring and summer menus.
Lemon Chess Bars
Makes about 12
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups whole buttermilk
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 6 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons lemon zest
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 12x8-inch baking pan with baking spray with flour. Line pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan.
- For crust: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, confectioners’ sugar, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly. Firmly press mixture into bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- For filling: In a large bowl, whisk together granulated sugar, buttermilk, melted butter, eggs, lemon zest and juice, cornmeal, flour, and vanilla until smooth. Pour filling into prepared crust.
- Bake until set, 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool completely. Using excess parchment as handles, remove from pan, and cut into squares. Garnish with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!