Makes about 2 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Sifted confectioners’ sugar
- In a medium bowl, combine butter, confectioners’ sugar, and granulated sugar. Beat at medium speed with a mixer until creamy. Add lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and egg, beating until well combined.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating to combine. Cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Place dough 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Using a flat-bottomed glass dipped in sugar, flatten dough to a ¼-inch thickness. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool on pans for 5 minutes.
- Roll in confectioners’ sugar. After cookies have cooled completely, roll in confectioners’ sugar a second time.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!