A classic crumble topping adds a sweet, rich finish to these tangy bar cookies.
Lemon Crumble Bars
Makes about 16
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⅓ cups sugar
- 1⅓ cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1¾ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 (14-ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1¼ cups fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 13x9-inch baking pan with baking spray with flour.
- For crust: In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl.
- In a medium bowl, stir together oats, flour, salt, and baking powder. Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add oats mixture to butter mixture, beating to combine. (Mixture will be crumbly.) Firmly press three-quarters of mixture into bottom of prepared pan. Set aside remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let cool.
- For filling: In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, condensed milk, and lemon zest and juice. Pour over cooled crust. Top with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake until center is just set, about 25 minutes. Let cool completely. Cut into bars.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!