This Lemon Custard, served with heart-shaped shortbread cookies, is a sweet finish to a delicious meal shared with a loved one.
Makes 2 servings
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 rosemary sprig
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ tablespoon butter
Heart Shortbread Cookies
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butter, cut into small pieces
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk, cream, lemon zest, and rosemary. Using the back of a spoon, press rosemary lightly to release flavor. Heat over medium-high heat until tiny bubbles form around edge of pan. Strain into a bowl.
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually whisk in hot milk mixture. Heat over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thick. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks. Add cornstarch mixture to egg yolks in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly. Heat over medium heat until boiling. Stir in lemon juice and butter. Pour into individual bowls; cover, and chill for at least 4 hours. Garnish with Heart Shortbread Cookies, if desired.
For Heart Shortbread Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, lemon zest, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture. Combine until a dough forms.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a ¼-inch thickness. Using a 1-inch heart-shaped cutter, press into dough. Place hearts on prepared baking sheet. Reroll scraps, if necessary. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool on pan for 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Discover inspiring style ideas, delicious recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!