This Lemon Rice with Spring Onions and Goat Cheese is a light and delicious seasonal side.
Lemon Rice with Spring Onions and Goat Cheese
Makes 8-10 servings
- 2½ tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1½ tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 spring or green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 6¼ cups hot chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 (4-ounce) package goat cheese crumbles
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Garnish: chopped parsley
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat 1½ tablespoons butter and olive oil until melted. Add green onions; sauté for about 4 minutes or until soft (but not browned). Add rice; stir until evenly coated in butter-and-onion mixture, about 1 minute. Add 1¾ cups hot chicken broth, and stir until liquid is absorbed. Continue to add broth, ½ cup at a time, allowing liquid to be
- absorbed after each addition, stirring frequently. Repeat procedure until rice is tender and creamy in texture. Add parsley, thyme, lemon juice, and zest, stirring well. Add goat cheese and remaining 1 tablespoon butter, stirring until melted. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley, if desired. Serve immediately.