These Lemon Sugar Cookies are a sweet treat.
Lemon Sugar Cookies
Makes approximately 2 dozen cookies
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon zest
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Meringue Powder Icing (recipe follows)
- Garnish: sparkling gold sugar, gold dragées
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and lemon zest, rubbing with your fingers. Allow to sit for at least 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, beat butter, sugar mixture, and confectioners’ sugar with a mixer at medium-high speed until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add extracts, beating to combine.
- In a separate medium bowl, sift together flour, ginger, salt, and baking powder. Reduce mixer speed to low. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating to combine.
- Roll dough between two pieces of parchment paper to a ¼-inch thickness. Place in freezer until firm, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- Using a 3-inch fluted round cookie cutter, cut as many cookies as possible. Repeat with remaining dough until all dough is used. Place cookies on prepared baking sheets. Bake until edges are lightly browned, 10 minutes. Let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes; remove to wire racks to let cool completely. Paint with Meringue Powder Icing. Garnish with gold sparkling sugar and gold dragées, if desired.
Meringue Powder Icing
Makes approximately 2½ cups
- ¼ cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Assorted food colorings
- In a medium bowl, beat water and meringue powder with a wire whisk until frothy. Whisk in confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Divide into bowls, and whisk in desired food colorings. Use immediately. Paint cookies, using small pastry brushes.