Makes about 24
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 24 small sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon sanding sugar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and granulated sugar at medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add chopped thyme, lemon zest and juice, and salt, beating to combine. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour, beating until a dough forms. Wrap dough in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to ¼-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch fluted round cutter, cut dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place on prepared pans. Place a thyme sprig on each cookie, gently pressing into dough; sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Bake until light golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking. Let cool completely on wire racks.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!