In Louisiana, rice is king among holiday side dishes, especially the specialty grains grown in the Bayou State. Meaty nut halves star in this Louisiana Pecan Rice version, which is sprinkled with sage and dried cranberries for a burst of true Yuletide spirit.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 teaspoons pecan oil
- ¾ cup pecans
- 1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1½ cups brown jasmine rice*
- 1 (32-ounce) container chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Garnish: fresh parsley
- In a 3-quart saucepan, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add pecans, and cook until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- To pan, add onion; cook, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes. Add sage and rice; cook 2 to 3 minutes. Add chicken broth, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until liquid is almost absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in cranberries; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Stir in pecans. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!