Turkey and Squash Casserole
Makes 10 to 12 servings
Write a review
- 2 pounds yellow squash, sliced and divided
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped and divided
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 cups cooked turkey, chopped
- 2 cups shredded white Cheddar cheese,
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese,
- 1 1/2 cups crushed baked cheese crackers*
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Garnish: fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 13x9-inch or 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large stockpot, combine squash (reserving 1/2 cup), bell peppers (reserving 1/2 cup), onion, garlic, and salt; add water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat, and simmer until done, 5 to 6 minutes. Drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine squash mixture, turkey, 1 1/2 cups Cheddar cheese, 1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, crushed crackers, sour cream, egg, thyme, and pepper. Spoon into prepared baking dish; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup white Cheddar cheese and remaining 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese. Bake until hot and bubbly, 25 to 30 minutes.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1/2 cup squash and remaining 1/2 cup bell pepper. Cook until tender and lightly browned, 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Top baked casserole with sautéed squash and bell peppers. Garnish with thyme, if desired.
- Serve immediately.
- *We used Cheez-It crackers.
Southern Lady Magazine https://www.southernladymagazine.com/