Smoked Sausage Gumbo Casserole
MAKES 12 TO 14 SERVINGS
Write a review
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cups rice
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (16-ounce) package smoked sausage, sliced and cooked
- 2 cups frozen sliced okra
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Garnish: chopped green onions, fresh oregano leaves
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 4-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat 1/4 cup vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, and
- bell peppers. Cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes. Add rice; cook for 2 minutes, stirring
- constantly. Add broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook,
- covered, until rice is tender, approximately 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a medium skillet, combine remaining 1/2 cup vegetable oil and flour; cook over medium heat,
- stirring constantly, until roux is a caramel color, about 10 minutes. Transfer roux to
- Dutch oven.
- Add sausage, okra, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, Creole seasoning, and garlic powder to
- Dutch oven, stirring to combine. Spoon mixture into
- prepared pan.
- Cover with heavy-duty foil, and bake until heated through, 30 to 45 minutes. Uncover, and
- garnish with green onions and oregano, if desired.
Southern Lady Magazine https://www.southernladymagazine.com/
TWIST ON TRADITION: Loaded with okra, tomatoes, rice, and smoked sausage, this recipe brings the favorite flavors of gumbo to a convenient all-in-one dish. Vary the hot sauce to suit the preference of the recipient, and craft a pretty presentation with a tea towel, handwritten card, and notes for baking.