Add an extra touch of flavor to your mashed potatoes with caramelized onions.
Mashed Potatoes with Caramelized Onions
Makes about 10 servings
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons water, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1¼ teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
- 5 pounds new potatoes, halved
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cubed
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream, heated
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons water; stir in ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cover; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and deep golden brown, about 25 minutes, adding remaining 3 tablespoons water, 1 tablespoon at a time, to keep onions from sticking to pan, if needed.
- In a large stockpot, add potatoes, 2 teaspoons salt, and water to cover by 2 inches; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain; return potatoes to stockpot. Add butter, warm cream, remaining 2 tablespoons salt, and remaining 1 teaspoon pepper; mash to desired consistency. Gently stir in caramelized onions. Spoon into a serving bowl. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!