This Mixed Green Salad with Deviled Egg Dressing and Southern Cornbread Croutons is a refreshing summer starter.
Mixed Green Salad with Deviled Egg Dressing and Southern Cornbread Croutons
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 2 (6-ounce) containers fresh baby romaine salad
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 6 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup toasted chopped pecans
- ½ cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- Deviled Egg Dressing (recipe follows)
- Southern Cornbread Croutons (recipe follows)
- In a large serving bowl, toss together romaine, tomatoes, eggs, pecans, and cheese. Add desired amount of Deviled Egg Dressing. Sprinkle with desired amount of Southern Cornbread Croutons.
Deviled Egg Dressing
Makes about 1¾ cups
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup whole buttermilk
- 2 hard-cooked egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In the container of a blender, combine all ingredients; process until smooth. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Southern Cornbread Croutons
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- ¼ cup bacon drippings
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ cups whole buttermilk
- ½ cup butter, melted and divided
- 1 large egg
- 1½ cups grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a 13x9-inch baking dish, pour bacon drippings. Place pan in oven to preheat.
- In a large bowl, stir together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, ¼ cup melted butter, and egg. Add buttermilk mixture to cornmeal mixture, stirring to combine. Stir in cheese. Pour batter over hot drippings in pan.
- Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cut cornbread into 1-inch cubes. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss together cornbread cubes and remaining ¼ cup melted butter. Spread in a single layer.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Turn cornbread cubes, and bake until golden brown and crisp, about 10 minutes more. Let cool completely on pan.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!