A twist on the usual lemon bars, these orange-kissed treats are little tidbits of sunshine.
Orange Custard Bars
Makes about 18
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur*
- 1 tablespoon elderflower liqueur*
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Garnish: fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- For crust: In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with a mixer at medium-high speed until creamy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and salt. Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just until combined. Gather dough into a ball, and shape into a disk. Press into bottom of a 13x9-inch baking pan.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
- For filling: In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, orange zest and juice, and liqueurs. Add flour, whisking to combine. Pour mixture into prepared crust.
- Bake until set, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool completely. Dust with confectioners’ sugar, and cut into bars. Garnish with mint, if desired. Cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
*We used Grand Marnier and St-Germain.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!