A twist on the usual lemon bars, these orange-kissed treats are little tidbits of sunshine.
Orange Custard Bars
Write a review
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur (for testing purposes, we used Grand Marnier)
- 1 tablespoon elderflower liqueur (for testing purposes, we used St-Germain)
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Confectioners' sugar
- Fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, beat butter and sugar with a mixer at medium-high speed until light and creamy.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together flour and salt.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, just until combined. Gather dough into a ball; flatten into a disk. Press into bottom of a 9x13-inch baking pan. Bake until lightly browned, 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool on wire rack.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, orange zest, orange liqueur, elderflower liqueur, and orange juice. Add flour, whisking to combine. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake until set, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar, and cut into bars. Garnish with fresh mint, if desired. Store covered in refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Southern Lady Magazine https://www.southernladymagazine.com/