Add these delicious Orange Sage Muffins to breakfast and brunch menus, or make a batch for friends and neighbors.
Orange Sage Muffins
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Garnish: Candied Sage (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 16 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat eggs and sugar at high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add oil, beating until combined. Gradually add milk, beating to combine. With mixer on low speed, add sage, orange zest and juice, and vanilla, beating until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to egg mixture, beating until combined, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 30 to 33 minutes. Let cool in pans for 5 minutes.
- For glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and orange zest and juice until smooth. Spoon glaze over muffins. Remove from pan. Garnish with Candied Sage, if desired. Serve warm.
Makes 16 candied leaves
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 16 small fresh sage leaves
- Sugar, for sprinkling
- In a small sauté pan, heat oil over medium-low heat. Working in batches, fry sage leaves for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with sugar. Let dry before using.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your
Southern Lady subscription today!