These Overstuffed Twice-Baked Potatoes are delicious served with Spicy Marinated Fillets.
Overstuffed Twice-Baked Potatoes
- 4 large baking potatoes, washed and dried
- Olive oil
- 8 pieces thick-sliced bacon
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1½ cups grated white Cheddar cheese, divided
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Garnish: crumbled bacon and chopped green onion
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Rub potatoes with olive oil to coat skins. Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for approximately 55 to 65 minutes, or until potatoes are fork-tender. Cool until easy to handle.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat for 15 minutes, or until browned and crispy. Remove bacon and crumble; set aside. Reserve 3 tablespoons bacon drippings in skillet. Add onion; cook, covered, over medium-high heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cut a thin slice off top of each potato lengthwise, being careful not to damage skins. Using a melon baller or spoon, scoop out pulp, leaving ¼-inch-thick shells.
- In a medium bowl, combine potato pulp, butter, and cream cheese. Using a potato masher, mash potato mixture until butter and cream cheese are melted. Add 1 cup cheese, sour cream, green onion, salt, and pepper; stir to combine well. Spoon potato mixture into potato shells.
- Return filled shells to prepared baking sheet. Return potatoes to oven, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until lightly browned and bubbly. Remove from oven, and top with remaining ½ cup cheese. Serve immediately. Garnish with additional crumbled bacon and green onion, if desired.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!