Summer’s garden harvest is put to delicious use in this Tuscan-flavored side dish.
Pan-Fried Eggplant and Zucchini
Write a review
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 medium eggplants, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 3 zucchini, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup nonpareil capers, drained
- Garnish: julienned fresh basil, balsamic glaze, sea salt
- Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with paper towels.
- Heat half of oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add vegetables to skillet, seasoning with salt and pepper just before placing in skillet. Add more oil as needed. Cook vegetables until browned on both sides, approximately 3 to 4 minutes per side. Place on prepared baking sheets to drain.
- Add capers to remaining oil; fry until capers open and have crisped up, approximately 1 minute. Drain on paper towels.
- To serve, arrange eggplant and zucchini on a platter. Sprinkle with capers. Garnish with julienned fresh basil, balsamic glaze, and sea salt, if desired.
Southern Lady Magazine https://www.southernladymagazine.com/