These Parmesan-Chive Scalloped Potatoes are a filling side dish.
Parmesan-Chive Scalloped Potatoes
Write a review
- 3 medium to large Yukon gold potatoes
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives, divided
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2/3 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Peel and thinly slice potatoes.
- In a large nonstick saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter over medium heat. Sift flour over butter, whisking to combine. Cook flour mixture for 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened, whisking well. Slowly add milk, whisking to combine. Cook for 5 minutes or until thickened, whisking frequently. Add 3/4 teaspoon salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper, whisking well.
- Spread 1/4 cup milk mixture over bottom of prepared dish. Layer half of potatoes evenly in a circular pattern over milk mixture. Spread half of remaining milk mixture over potatoes. Top with 1 tablespoon chopped chives and 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers with remaining potatoes, milk mixture, and 1 tablespoon chopped chives.
- Microwave remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a microwave-safe bowl for 30 seconds or until melted. Combine butter, panko, remaining 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Spread over potatoes. Cover, and bake for 45 minutes. Remove cover, and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Top with remaining 1 tablespoon chives. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Southern Lady Magazine https://www.southernladymagazine.com/