A scoop of vanilla ice cream is the perfect accompaniment to this fancy Peach Pie with Amaretto Whipped Cream.
Peach Pie with Amaretto Whipped Cream
Makes 1 (9-inch) pie
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 6 to 8 tablespoons cold whole buttermilk
- 6 large peaches, peeled, pitted, sliced (about 6 cups sliced)
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup potato starch
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Amaretto Whipped Cream (recipe follows)
- Garnish: fresh mint
- For crust: In a medium bowl, stir together flour, salt, and sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add buttermilk, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring until dough forms. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface; shape into 2 disks. Cover tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Adjust one oven rack to lowest position and another to middle position.
- For filling: In a large bowl, combine peaches, sugar, starch, lemon juice, and salt. Let sit for at least 15 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll both pie crusts into 12-inch circles. Transfer one crust to a 9-inch pie plate, pressing into bottom and up sides. Using a slotted spoon, transfer peaches to pie plate, leaving liquid behind; discard liquid. Top with remaining pie crust, folding edges under and crimping as desired. Make 5 small slits on top of crust. Brush with cream.
- Bake on the lowest rack for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°. Move pie to middle rack, and bake until juices start bubbling through crust, 30 to 35 minutes. (Loosely cover with aluminum foil to prevent excess browning.) Remove pie from oven, and let cool completely on a wire rack before serving. Serve with Amaretto Whipped Cream, if desired. Garnish with mint, if desired.
Amaretto Whipped Cream
Makes 2 cups
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon amaretto
- In a large bowl, beat cream and sugar until stiff peaks form. Beat in amaretto. Use immediately.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!