Piled high with juicy stone fruits and layered with clouds of whipped cream, this decadent dessert is the essence of summer.
Peach, Plum, and Cherry Shortcake
Makes one (8-inch) cake
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1½ cups self-rising flour
- ⅔ cup whole milk
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ⅔ cup apricot or peach preserves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4½ cups sweetened whipped cream, divided
- 1 cup sliced peaches
- 1 cup sliced plums
- ½ cup cherries, halved
- Garnish: peaches, plums, cherries
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray an 8-inch round cake pan with baking spray with flour. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper. Spray again with baking spray.
- In a medium bowl, beat butter and sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg; beat until blended. With mixer at low speed, gradually add flour to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour, beating just until combined after each addition. Gently stir in lemon zest, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Spoon batter into prepared pan, smoothing top.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 28 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Using a serrated knife, cut cake in half horizontally.
- In the container of a blender, combine preserves and lemon juice. Process until smooth. Spread cut sides of cake with preserves mixture.
- Place one cake layer, cut side up, on a cake plate; spread with 2 cups whipped cream. Top with peaches, plums, and cherries. Add second cake layer, cut side down. Spread remaining 2½ cups whipped cream on top of cake. Garnish with peaches, plums, and cherries, if desired.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!